Saturday, February 05, 2011

Review: New Spring: The Graphic Novel

New Spring: The Graphic NovelNew Spring: The Graphic Novel by Robert Jordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall this is a really decent conversion of New Spring into a graphic novel. For the first seven chapters the artwork is just beautiful, almost making up for years of the crappy TOR cover art of the Wheel of Time, and in general the story was converted with care. I most definitely enjoyed reading this novel.

HOWEVER, I don't know what happened with chapter eight, but suddenly the artwork was shit and the typos in the text went through the roof. I'm being hyperbolic but the decrease in quality really was that noticeable. I don't know if a new artist came on board or what, but whatever went on created a terribly lackluster end to the book. I was too distracted by "is that supposed to be Moiraine? is that supposed to be Suian?" to really enjoy the final chapter.

Though it must be noted that the final chapter might have been kind of ruined anyway since it rushed through the climax of the original book. Now I've seen plenty of comics which have a least one "box" (don't know if this is the correct terminology) that is just a picture between two boxes that have text on them to great a sense of "pause" for dramatic effect. This desperately needed some of those.  Also needed were some boxes which conveyed the shock and drama of the climatic scenes through text.  But there were none of either.

It was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise enjoyable reading experience.


View all my reviews