Friday, March 13, 2009

Abolish "Marriage" in California

Right on the heels of the argument intro'd to me by a professor which I talked about in my post on "Milk", I get news that two heterosexual male students in So Cal are gathering signatures to put legislation on the next ballot abolishing marriage in California.

Now to me, marriage is a word which is open to anyone; it carries meaning beyond any one religious, social, or legal institution.

But the argument for the bill is that legally "domestic partnership" should (and would if this passes) replace "marriage" in the law in CA. Thus enacting a compromise often called for, of separating civil marriage and religious marriage.

I haven't seen anyone around here gathering signatures, but they should, I think people would be into it. I'd certainly sign.