Thursday, February 12, 2009

The weekly!

angry asian man
Miley Cyrus is Doing the Chink Eye Too

T Love
Why You Should Know The Name Billey Joe Johnson

Womanist Musings
Polytechnique: Of Course We Need A Male Perspective

Rebecca
Justice, Justice, You Shall Pursue

Womanist Musings
The Invisible Mother

Feministe
Homelessness Increases Among Female Veterans

Womanist Musings
You Can Talk About Your Foot, But What About Your Vagina?

Justice For Jason
We Demand Justice for Jason Vassell!

Essin' Em
A Study On Ethnography and Dykes
This is a call for participants in the study.
Do you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, bi-curious, queer, questioning, or otherwise same-sex attracted? Are you of African American or Latina descent? Are you age 18 and older? Even if you prefer not to label yourself, we are interested in your experience!


As seen on Colbert, via the Seattle PI
Profit trumps preservation for Boy Scout councils nationwide
They logged, sold thousands of acres of prime lands


Feministing
Forced Sterilization Charges Against Chile

SAFER blog
What Does It Mean To Oppose Violence?

Bound, Not Gagged
Call for Applications: Speak Up! Media Training for the Empowered Sex Worker
On Saturday, April 18th, my co-facilitator Eliyanna Kaiser and I will be doing just that here in New York. The workshop will cover topics like when to say no to media, outness, crafting your message, interview techniques, and basic skills for creating text, video, and audio.


guerrilla mama medicine
this is not a hotel: breaking borders

Cedro's perfect dream
The Gringo Touch

Womanist Musings
PETA Dresses Up Like the KKK
No, this is not a joke.

Womanist Musings - Guest Post
Is That My Foot? No, It's My Penis
I have a vagina. I'm still not sure how I ended up with it instead of a penis. As a female-bodied genderqueer who chooses a more masculine presentation, I need to remember to love my vagina even though she confuses me.

While my body is not shaped the way that makes sense to me, I have decided that I need to care for myself lovingly. Not only my vagina/cunt/genitalia, but also my wide hips, my breasts, and my hairless face - all these markers of being "woman" I have to care for lovingly.


Renee at Global Comment
Nadya Suleman and the Choice We Never Respect
For my part, I have trouble with some of the details of the Suleman case, and I'm not convinced she's acting in a responsible manner. But that said, I have never seen the media spot light shine so brightly on a case of octuplets the way they are on hers, and it bothers me. Are we really to believe that all the two-parent, heterosexual, married families I've seen with huge at-once broods like this are all ready for what they're getting themselves into? Are those women interrogated about "why they want children so badly"? Are we really to believe that two sets of hands, where one set works full time, is so much better than just one set?

The Kitchen Table
American Myopia
Americans suffer from a serious case of myopia: we are often unable to see things, important things, that are far away, distant, and not in our immediate line of vision. And I think that the stimulus package that has just passed is a perfect example.


The Kitchen Table
What we really believe
Our priorities in times of crisis immediately, honestly, and often shockingly reveal our core beliefs. It is true in our personal lives, but it is even more true in our national life. As I have watched the economic stimulus package wind its way through the Democratically controlled Congress and the Obama White House I have watched core American beliefs become clear. We believe that people are fundamentally motivated by money and that the rich are more valuable to our collective future than are the poor.


flip flopping joy
(re)thinking walking: bfp’s second walk

Via Feministe
Steamy sex courses fire GOP's ire
What are these "steamy sex courses", you ask?
Why, Queer Theory.
Oh yah, that's hot!
Wtf...